The church in Hailuoto, precast of concrete on site, was built in 1972 and is a fine example of modern post-war church architecture in Finland. The building was designed by Architect Irma Aaltonen and Professor Matti Aaltonen. A wall-to-wall window is the altarpiece of the church with a view to the local woods with their age-old pines.
The old cemetery lies behind the pines, among other trees, surrounded by nature. The steps and foundation of the old Hailuoto church built in 1620 are still visible in the end of the cemetery closest to the new church. The old foundation with its wooden cross and pine benches has been used as a summer church. The old church was the eldest wooden church still in regular service in Finland before it burned down for an unknown reason in a very hot and dry summer of 1968.
The old and the new church are intertwined in the decoration of the new church. What treasures were salvaged from the old church are now safe in the new concrete church, including an old pulpit decorated by Mikael Toppelius, a church painter, and statues of the apostles in oak dating back to the late middle ages in the 16th century.
The church is open for the general public in addition to services and other events in summer on Sunday 11 am to 3 pm; at other times by arrangement with Hailuoto Association guides.